Monday, July 12, 2010

beach breakfast


I could eat healthy like this every day...if I had time in the mornings, and a 6th floor balcony, and a white sandy beach, and the emerald green waters of the Gulf Coast.  Though that is not my normal routine, for this week it is exactly my routine.  

As I sit and listen to the waves crash on the shoreline, I enjoy season-fresh fruits and my new favorite granola.  I've taken a vanilla granola recipe and 'kicked it up a notch.' In omitting the oil, I have in it's place added frangipane.  This yields a most flavorful almond granola, the almond aroma wafting around your senses as soon as the granola is poured into a bowl from the freezer (yes, store your granola in the freezer.)  You can find the frangipane recipe in David Lebovitz's "Ready for Dessert."  I used 1/2 the frangipane recipe in this granola; the granola bakes to a very rich, almond scented mixture.



I cleaned my plate!  (notice the reflection of the balcony railing, balcony wall, gulf waters, and horizon - all in the bowl of the spoon)


This granola does not maintain the crunch as with other granola recipes; however, the flavor well compensates for the loss of crunch/softer granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment