Tuesday, February 1, 2011

granola bars

Bulk Whole Foods oats make a star appearance in these chewy granola bars.  Loaded with nuts, seeds, and flax, the bars will quench your hunger for hours.

The recipe is adapted from here.


The bars are soft and chewy.  I keep them well wrapped and frozen; the texture is unaffected by freezing.


Granola Bars
Into large bowl, mix:
3 c. oats
1/4 c. flour
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground cardamon
4 T ground flax

Add to above mixture:
1 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
1/2 c dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 c coconut
1/4 c sesame seeds

In a food processor, mix:
1/2 c. dried apricots (I used dates)
1/2 c butter
1/2 c honey

Pour the wet over the dry ingredients and mix well.  (I used my best tools - my hands.)
Firmly press into parchment lined 9x13 pan; bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

The bars will cut easier if they are completely cooled.

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this photo on tastespotting, and Wow! I'm craving one! Nicely done, and beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete