Thursday, May 21, 2009

Strawberry Jam






I watch tooooo much Food Network, and specifically Barefoot Contessa.  She makes is all look....possible.  

Strawberries were cheaper by the flat at the farmer's market.  I didn't really need a flat, but my accountant's brain said 'cheaper is better.'  So, here I am - inspired, again, by Ina.  

The recipe was relatively easy.  The use of a thermometer eliminated any guess work involved in making jam.  I cooked the mixture on medium heat; there was some splattering as it cooked thicker and thicker.  I followed her recipe (found here) exactly as written.  One point I would stress - use a very heavy bottom pan to make the jam.  My jam did burn, just a little, in the bottom of my 'not thick enough' pan.  I quickly transferred the jam to another pan, cooked it a little longer, and hoped for the best.  Once that whiff of 'something is not right' drifts through the air, it's advisable to check it out.

I am so pleased with the texture and color of my jam.  It does not taste like the jam MaMa made, but MaMa never added Grand Marnier, blueberries, nor apples to her strawberry jam.  I'm anxious to bake biscuits and really give this jam a true test drive.

I don't know what will happen, but I froze some of the jam.  The sugar may crystalize.  I'll report the results of that 'experiment' in weeks to come.

updated May 9, 2010:
The frozen strawberry jam is still as delicious as the day it was made.  The color is a little darker, but the flavor is great.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this post! i have a ton of strawberries in my house and was wondering how to make jam. your pics are so detailed! (your fellow memphian blogger)

    ReplyDelete