Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pan-Release-Grease

This concoction holds an important place in my baking kitchen. I first learned of this mixture while attending a Viking Bakeshop Basics class.  After further research, I found a similar recipe in my "Baking and Pastry - Mastering the Art and Craft - Culinary Institute of America" textbook.

Pan release is designed to be used when baking any batter based mixture.  Forget the can of Pam; forget the 'grease and flour the pan' routine!  Pan Release to the rescue!

As we were told in the Viking class, "your baked goods will not stick to the pan if you use this mixture."  The CIA textbook states that this will create a "nonstick surface."  I have been using this since October 2008 (7 months), with 100% success.  I'm still using my original mixture; it keeps well if stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.  Initially, I erred on the side of spreading the pan release thickly.  You will need to use a generous coating on your pan, but not an excessive coating.  Too much pan release and you will have a light 'floury film' on your baked goods.  After you use this a couple of times, you will easily know how thickly to apply the pan release.

Add this 'recipe' to your files today.  

Ingredients:
The Viking class recipe stated:  Use equal portions of Crisco, flour, and Vegetable Oil; store in refrigerator.

I followed the CIA instructions as listed on page 826 of the above mentioned book.  
1 lb / 454g Shortening (I used Crisco)
1 lb/ 454g Bread Flour
1 lb/ 454g Vegetable Oil (I used Crisco Oil)
Mix the shortening and flour; gradually add the oil until all is well mixed.  Store in the refrigerator.

Happy No-Stick Baking!

1 comment:

  1. I've never, ever heard of this. It sounds like it works wonders! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete