Sunday, January 16, 2011

lard - lard pie crust


Mom made our biscuits and cornbread and fried chicken and, and and...with Reelfoot lard.  Reelfoot Packing Company has been out of business for years; however, Niece M & Nephew A found fresh lard and sent me a quart for Christmas (yes, I asked for this gift.)

creamy white...

Let's make a pie crust (recipe adapted from Nancie  McDermott's "Southern Pies"):

3 oz lard
1/2 t salt
5 1/2 oz pastry flour
Chill in freezer for a while until everything is cold.

Blend with pastry blender.

Add:
1/4 c. cold water
Stir together quickly; pour onto cling wrap; chill for an hour.

This dough is soft and rolls easily, even immediately out of the refrigerator.
I rolled this crust too thin at the edge. 

The crust tasted like Mom's; the memory made me smile.

I'll work on a 'pretty' edge next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment