Saturday, April 16, 2011

soup...recreating the leftovers

Though it's April 16th, it's a cool, windy, overcast day here in TN.  Soup seemed like the perfect lazy Saturday afternoon lunch.
There is no recipe for this soup....I used my leftovers, as have many cooks through the centuries.  

Into a large pot, I added:

  • 13 frozen roma tomatoes, previously roasted with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little sugar, salt, and pepper
  • 16 oz frozen very thick turkey stock, made from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass
  • 10 oz frozen slow-cooker cooked chickpeas
  • 3/4 of the frozen 'Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad' recipe from my new cookbook, "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite" by Melissa Clark
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • no seasoning was required, as all ingredients were previously seasoned
I turned the stovetop eye to very low, covered the pan, and let the ingredients simmer for about 3 hours.

The roasted roams add such intense flavor, and the broccoli maintained a bit of crunch.  Ladled into my pottery dish, the soup was warm and rich and very flavorful.

(photos taking using my iPhone 4, Camera+ app, and natural light)

delicious....

14,139

No comments:

Post a Comment