Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mama's biscuits - well --close...


(repost from January 27, 2008)
Mama would have used Reelfoot lard, but, since that packing company has not existed for years, that was not an option. The buttermilk would have been Turner, but I didn’t have that either. I used Martha White self-rising flour; I don’t remember which brand Mom used.
Raphe and I braved the c..o..l..d this weekend and went out photographing the Memphis bridge Friday night. Saturday morning we tried to make Mom’s biscuits. They were pretty good. And, they passed my special ‘Mama’s biscuits’ test..my brothers will know what this is!
2 cups Martha White self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup lard
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (not the low-fat!)
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix flour and baking soda; cut in lard. Add buttermilk and mix with a fork; mix gently to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured area; pat dough quite thin (Mama’s biscuits were thin and crisp); cut with biscuit cutter. Place in hot iron skillet, greased with bacon fat or lard, and bake 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment