Cacao nibs top the olive oil brownies rather than nuts. The nibs add a pure chocolate crunch that compliments the soft, smooth olive oil brownie base.
Olive Oil Brownies
(thank you, http://familystylefood.com/2011/04/olive-oil-cocoa-brownies/
for sharing the recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c raw sugar
- 1/2 c. EVOO (olive oil)
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder ( I use an Italian cocoa powder; it is sooo rich)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 c cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; I preheat my oven an hour before most baking.
- Line 8" square pan with parchment for easy removal of the baked brownies.
- Beat eggs in mixer for one minute
- Gradually add sugar; continue beating until eggs/sugar mixture is thick
- (note-raw sugar did not completely dissolve)
- Decrease mixer speed and s l o w l y add olive oil
- Add vanilla
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt into bowl. Stir into egg mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes
- Let cool completely in pan; remove and cut into small pieces
These olive oil brownies freeze well.
I think I'll add espresso powder when I bake these again.