Saturday, March 12, 2011

blueberry muffins

I have an extensive cookbook library.  Many of these books I have purchased at used book stores (this makes me feel like a better steward of my resources); however, I do have my share of recently released books.  And, I anxiously await this one by Gesine Bullock-Prado!

A friend told me years ago that books are never a waste of money.  My library proves that I committed her comment to permanent memory.  Thanks..My Friend T.

I've decided to peruse the pages of these aging beauties, and bake from a variety of these cookbooks during 2011.  The blueberry muffins shown above claim spot #1 of this cookbook adventure.
On the inside first page, yellowing with age and crackling a little as the binding is strained, I find "Happy Birthday Gale!    Love, Shelly."   Ahhhh...what memories.

In years past, this was my 'go-to' blueberry muffin recipe.  I must confess that now this one has taken first place.  Nonetheless, it was great to take a trip down memory lane with this blueberry muffin.

Country Style Muffins - Blueberry version
(adapted from the book "Country Tastes" by Beatrice Ojakangas)

Mix dry ingredients together:
2 c all purpose flour
1/3 c + 2 T granulated sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt

In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients:
1/3 c soft butter
1 egg
1 c whole milk

Add wet to dry and mix gently, just until combined.

Gently fold in
1 c. blueberries (mine were slightly frozen; they seem to bleed into the batter less when I add them frozen)

Top muffin batter with granulated raw sugar and a few sprinkles of cocoa nibs (my touch...)

Evenly portion into 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment