Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Love Pumpkin

...always have, probably always will....

In years now long past, Mom would always bake me (yes, all mine) a pumpkin pie for my October birthday.  And, I ate the whole thing!

This blog post affirms my pumpkin baking past.

Moving forward, to the present...

pumpkin cheesecake with espresso-pumpkin topping/swirls - yummmmmmm

The pumpkin for this cheesecake was baked, drained, and pureed from Fairytale pumpkins.  The flesh is bright and colorful, and processes to a smooth mass.

I halved the recipe; however, I misread the expresso powder.  The full recipe requires 3 teaspoons; I read this as 3 tablespoons, and I added 1 1/2 tablespoon espresso powder to my little 6", half recipe, cheesecake.  It was Awesome!!!  Imagine a sweet pumpkin cheesecake bite with a strong, sharp shot of espresso.

The photo was taken before I consumed the last few bites.  This is a great recipe.  The base is made of almond meal; no graham crackers here.

I followed this recipe from sprinkle bakes; however, my cheesecake did not look like hers.  Her blog is great and the photography is amazing; be sure to click the link above and visit her blog.

Here's my adaptation of her recipe:
makes 1 - 6" cheesecake

Crust:
1/3 c all purpose flour
1/3 c almond flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 T sugar
2T cold butter
Process all crust ingredients in food processor; press into bottom of springform pan; bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool

Filling:

Mix:
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, at soft room temperature
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla

Add 1 1/2 eggs, slowly

Remove half this mixture and transfer to another bowl.  To this removed half, add 1 1/2 Tablespoons espresso powder; mix well.  (this will be strong, but is delicious; her recipe lists 1 1/2 teaspoons)

Mix in another bowl:
2 T granulated sugar
1/2 c pumpkin puree
1 t allspice
1/2 t cinnamon

Pour the pumpkin mixture over the crust.
Top this with the espresso mixture; swirl if desired.

Bake the small cheesecake 30-40 minutes.  Cool, then refrigerate overnight.  Will keep in refrigerator several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment