Sunday, September 12, 2010

I like shortbread

A basic shortbread recipe combines such simple ingredients, yet the sum of the parts is far past simple.  I use the best ingredients I can find, and the result is spectacular.

This cacao nib shortbread recipe is adapted from Anita at 'Dessert First,' and you can find the original recipe here.

Listed below is my adaptation of the shortbread recipe.

Stir together and sit aside:
6.75 oz plain flour
2.5 oz brown rice flour

Cream with mixer for 3-4 minutes:
8 oz Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, at room temperature
3.5 oz granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt

Remove mixer bowl from mixer stand. Gently stir in flours using wooden spoon, combining only until mixed.  

Stir in 1/3 cup cacao nibs - I used theo cacao nibs in this recipe; however, I have used nibs from King Arthur Flour in the past and they are also great.

Turn dough out on to saran, wrap tightly and refrigerate.
When ready to bake, roll to 1/4" thick, and cut as desired.
Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in 325 degree oven for about 17 minutes.
Sprinkle with granulated sugar immediately after removing from oven.
Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
I store cooled cookies in leftover Christmas tins and separate the layers of cookies with pieces of the parchment paper used for baking (recycle!).

enjoy - - -

mixing with my favorite wooden spoon from Sis and D's Handmade Spoons

velvety, squishy, nibby, buttery, shortbread dough


mixed dough is shaped (I used a loaf pan to shape dough into a rectangle) and chilled overnight -
later rolled into 1/4" thick rectangle and chilled again -
later cut and chilled again -
and finally baked


sunlight and shadows:

the dough held it's shape beautifully after baking - no spreading edges


vanilla sugar crystals:

1 comment:

  1. Oh uao! I'm surely going to try this. Your blog make me so hungry :)

    ReplyDelete