Saturday, September 18, 2010

brownie bottom chocolate cheesecake

If a blog title can taste good, this one does - brownie - chocolate - cheesecake.


When this cheesecake was removed from the oven, the top displayed a mosaic of light and dark swirls.  Pretty is important.  



I baked this in my favorite 8" removable-bottom cheesecake pan.  The batter baked to a nice tall thick, rich, creamy chocolate goodness.  This is a very rich cheesecake; cut the pieces small.  And, it's at it's peak of deliciousness at room temperature.



With a brownie layer on the bottom, and a mousse-cheesecake layer on top, this is a winner.  All who tasted loved this.  My best compliment came from one who has tasted many of my cheesecakes.  She stated this was the best ever, even better than Cheesecake Factory - her all time favorite.

I just said, ....thanks...

You can find the original recipe here.  Listed below is my adaptation of the recipe.

Brownie Bottom Chocolate Cheesecake

for the brownie bottom (I mixed this in one pan and stirred by hand):

Melt together:
1 1/2 oz unsalted butter
1 oz chocolate, chopped (I used 3 squares of Olive and Sinclair Sea Salt [75%] Chocolate)

Add to chocolate/butter mixture and whisk until combined:
7 oz granulated sugar
2 oz golden syrup
1 1/2 oz melted butter
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Add and mix until smooth:
3 3/4 oz cake flour
1/2 oz Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I used Pernigotti)
1/2 t salt

Fold in 
1 1/2 oz semi sweet chocolate chips

Sit aside 1/2 c of the brownie batter.  Pour remaining batter into prepared cheesecake pan. 
Top with cheesecake batter (recipe below)
Top cheesecake batter with reserved brownie batter.  Swirl gently with knife.  Don't over-swirl!


Cheesecake batter:

Mix in stand mixer:
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
2 1/2 oz granulated sugar

Add and mix well:
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 oz chopped chocolate (I used 3 squares of Olive and Sinclair Sea Salt [75%] Chocolate)
2 T Dutch processed cocoa powder (I used Pernigotti)
2 T sour cream


Bake brownie cheesecake in 350 degree oven 40 - 50 minutes.  Allow to cool, then refrigerate TWO DAYS to allow flavors to develop.  Yes, you can eat this at any time; however, I have found that all cheesecakes are best after aging a couple of days at a minimum.

Serve at room temperature and in small slices.

...delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment