Monday, June 29, 2009

dissecting the 'parts'


Sweet and Simple Bakes chose Chocolate Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake (recipe here) as the July 1 post recipe. As I read the recipe, the PARTS jumped off the page! Yes, I've been reading Michael Ruhlman's "Ratio," and I now find myself mathmatically analyzing recipes. (Couldn't I just leave the math and excel spreadsheets at work!!)

It's so simple to bake using parts. I've baked the 'Old Fashioned Pound Cake' from "Ratio" page 61. The cake was delicious, had a great texture, and was moist. This orange pound cake follows the same formula.

1 part sugar (this recipe uses 6 oz)
1 part butter
1 part eggs
1 part flour

Add a few extras, and you have Chocolate Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake.

I don't bake with self rising flour (I forgot that the salt was included) very often, and I added 1/4 teaspoon salt with the butter sugar mixture. I also added 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring, because I think everything needs a little vanilla. I believe these two additions enhanced the cake flavor.

I had some candied orange peel tossed in sugar in the pantry; I used this with the orange juice to make the glaze, and then strained the mixture.


There was enough batter to make 3 small cakes (pans are 4" x 2"). I punched holes in the little cakes, and drizzled the glaze over the tops. It seeped inside the cakes to add flavor and moisture.

This recipe yields a delicious orange, orange, orange cake. I'm not fond of chocolate and orange, so I dusted my little cakes with powdered sugar.

This recipe was quick to mix and bake, yet the flavor is intense and would make one think the recipe was much more complicated.

Since this recipe can be dissected into it's component parts, it can be scaled up or down, as the need arises.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Gale, you do bake in pictures and each picture is beautiful. I love your tea pot ;0)Your cakes look amazing and I like your take on the recipe. well done on this month's bake.

    Thank you SO much for taking part in this S&SB moth’s bake and I do hope you will join us in our next bake!!

    Best wishes Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful photos. we loved the cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics, beautiful cake!

    That shot with the orange syrup on looks so good I just want to lick the screen *grin*

    I very nearly didn't add chocolate to my own version, the cake just looked and smelt so good as it was. I will definitely try it just dusted with icing sugar or cocoa in a future bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini loaf cakes look perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely photo! I enjoyed reading about how you analyze the recipe - I have always been interested in the scientific aspect of baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You have a picture perfect cake. And I liked your touch of adding candied orange peel. I am sure it must be finger licking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the pound cake idea AND the candied orange peel. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pound cake idea AND the candied orange peel. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the pictures certainly do the talking for you!

    It looks delicious. I also like the fact that you're coming at it from a mathematical angle. I remember all that time spent at school in maths thinking "When am I ever going to need this?!" Turns out I can use it in baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gale love your cake. And i love your pictures. you take such good photos. I wish i could be as good as you when taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gale

    Your cake turned out beautiful and your pics speak for themselves!

    Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us again.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete